Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Whole-Grain Mustard Sauce
Mar 19, 2014 09:20AM
YIELDS: 2-3 servingsThis recipe, from the book Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking, appears alongside the article "Vedge: A Vegetable Restaurant" in the March 2014 edition of Natural Awakenings BuxMont.
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, 2 or 3 layers of outer leaves removed and bottom cores cut off
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
1. To make the sauce, whisk together the vegan mayo, mustard, 1 Tbsp water, ½ tsp of salt, and ½ tsp of pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Run the Brussels sprouts through the slicer blade of a food processor or carefully shave on a mandoline.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Just as the oil starts to ripple, add the garlic and the shaved Brussels sprouts. Sear for 30 seconds, then stir to prevent the garlic from burning.
4. Add the remaining ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Allow the Brussels sprouts to sear 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so they brown evenly.
5. Transfer the Brussels sprouts to a serving dish, drizzle the mustard sauce on top and serve.
Recipe from Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking, copyright © Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby, 2013. Reprinted with permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. March 2014.